The 2008 McCallum Medal Presentation Competition (organised by the NSW Young Lawyers Industrial and Employment Law Committee and sponsored by Thomson Reuters, The College of Law and Clayton Utz) was held on Tuesday 21 October 2008. The judging panel consisted of Mr Joe Catanzariti (Partner, Clayton Utz), The Honourable Justice Marks (Member, Industrial Relations Commission) and The Honourable Justice Kavanagh (Member, Industrial Relations Commission). The event was chaired by the medal’s namesake, Professor Ron McCallum AO.
The finalists and their topics were:
- Pauline Thai (winner): “The Implied Duty of Mutual Trust and Confidence: A Common Law Alternative to Unfair Dismissal Legislation?”
- Carolyn Dorrian (runner up): “Regulating Prostitution through Industrial Law/Codes”
- Kristen Lopes: “Does the Current Legal Framework in NSW Adequately Address the Issue of Workplace Bullying? Should the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2000 (NSW) be Amended?
- Barbara Townsend: “Implications of the Employer’s Liability for the Mental Health of Employees: Cecere v Communication, Electrical, Electronic, Energy, Information, Postal, Plumbing & Allied Health Services Union of Australia and Anor  VCC 445″
- Allison Benson: “Rugby Code Rivals and Restraints: Developments in Restraint of Trade Law in Australia in Recent Times”