*Please note that the links to the content in this Part will direct you to Westlaw AU.
To purchase an article, please email: [email protected] or contact us on 1300 304 195 (Australian customers) or +61 2 8587 7980 (international customers) during business hours (Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm AEST).
The latest issue of the Australian Law Journal (Volume 91 Part 1) contains the following material:
CURRENT ISSUES – Editor: Justice François Kunc
- Retirement of Chief Justice Robert French
- New Appointments to the High Court
- Chief Justices and the ALJ: From Knox to Barwick
- Redress for Survivors of Institutional Child Sexual Abuse
- Climate Change and Sustainability
- Victorian Review of Suppression Order Laws
- A National Court of Appeal?
- NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)
- Commonwealth Solicitor-General
- Debate Continues about the Proposed Sale of the NSW Land Titles Office
- An Extraordinary Reaction to the “Brexit Judgment”
- The Search for a Body
- To Prosecute or not to Prosecute?
CONVEYANCING AND PROPERTY – Editor: Peter Butt
CONSTITUTIONAL LAW – Editor: Anne Twomey
- The Constitutional Legacy of the High Court under Chief Justice French
ADMINISTRATIVE LAW – Editor: Justice Melissa Perry
- iDecide: Administrative Decision-Making in the Digital World
PERSONALIA – Editor: Clare Langford
- Professor Jane Stapleton
New South Wales
- Justice Paul Le Gay Brereton AM RFD
- District Court Judges for Regional New South Wales
- Appointment of Senior Counsel
- Chief Justice Michael Grant
- Solicitor General: Sonia Brownhill SC
- Appointment of Senior Counsel
- Appointments to the Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
- Justice Katrina Banks-Smith
- Justice Michael Buss
- Justice Robert Mackenzie Mitchell
- Solicitor General: Peter Quinlan SC
RECENT CASES – Editor: Ruth C A Higgins
- Estoppel: Anshun Estoppel – Loans to Investors to Fund Investments in Managed Investment Schemes
- Corporations: Winding Up – Voidable Transactions – Corporations Act 2001 (Cth), s 588FF(1)
- Damages: Exemplary Damages – Intentional Torts – Assault and Battery
- United Kingdom: Constitutional Law – Crown Prerogative Powers – Sovereignty of Parliament – Treaty on European Union, Art 50
Chief Justice Robert French AC – Chief Justice Wayne Martin
The Hon Wayne Martin AC, Chief Justice of Western Australia, has enjoyed a long personal friendship and many professional associations with the Hon Robert French AC. In this article the author records the life and career of his fellow Western Australian.
Appearing in the French Court – Justice Stephen McLeish
The Hon Justice Stephen McLeish is a judge of the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Victoria. As counsel he often appeared in the High Court, particularly during his term as Solicitor-General for Victoria from 2011 to 2015.
The High Court under Chief Justice Robert French – Harry Hobbs, Andrew Lynch and George Williams
On Chief Justice Robert French’s retirement from the High Court of Australia, it is appropriate to reflect on his impact and legacy. In this article we first revisit the circumstances of Chief Justice French’s appointment, before offering an overview of the dynamics of the French Court, noting the patterns of decision-making that emerged during his tenure. We then examine the French Court’s constitutional law jurisprudence, focusing on the three dominant and most contentious areas of its activity: cases on the executive power of the Commonwealth; the Ch III restrictions on State legislative power; and the legal problems raised by Australia’s asylum seeker policies.
For the PDF version of the table of contents, click here: ALJ Vol 91 No 1 Contents.
For general queries, please contact: [email protected].