The latest issue of the The Queensland Lawyer (Volume 31 Part 4) contains the following material:
- What price justice?
Has the Retail Shop Leases Act 1994 (Qld) fulfilled its objective of promoting “efficiency and equity”? – Courtney Erin Watson Burgess
The purpose of the Retail Shop Leases Act 1994 (Qld) is to promote efficiency and equity in the operation of retail leases within Queensland. This article critically examines the practical impact of the Act since its introduction to determine whether this purpose has been fulfilled. Particular focus is given to the significant areas of rent review, relocation for refurbishment, assignment, repair of common property and options for renewal. Ultimately it is concluded that, despite many positive aspects, the Act does not successfully incorporate the practical recommendations of the Cooper Report, nor does it achieve the original objects of the legislation.
Pool safety in Queensland – Bill Dixon
This article examines recent changes to the Building Act 1975 (Qld) intended to promote pool safety in Queensland. The impact of these statutory changes is considered in relation to both compliance obligations and disclosure obligations associated with sale and leasing transactions. The interrelationship of these changes with the operation of standard contractual provisions in Queensland is also examined.
ADMINISTRATIVE LAW – Bill Lane and Eleanor Dickens
- State-Owned Corporations and the Reach of the RTI Act (QLD) – Davis v City North Infrastructure Pty Ltd  QSC 285
CONVEYANCING AND PROPERTY LAW – Dr Bill Dixon
- Section 64 of the Property Law Act 1974 (Qld) and the reluctant buyer
CRIMINAL LAW – Andrew M West
- Greeting witnesses
INDUSTRIAL LAW – Dr Kristy Richardson
- The ongoing impact of Kirk: Bauer Foundations Australia Pty Ltd v President of the Industrial Court (Qld)  QSC 103 and Newman v TJV Electrical Pty Ltd (C/2011/13)
TORT LAW – Amanda Stickley
- Uncertainty in claiming damages for defects in property
BOOK REVIEW – Judge Michael Shanahan
- Land Contract in Queensland by S A Christensen, W M Dixon, W D Duncan and S E Jones – by Florence Chen
REPORTS – Federal Magistrate Michael Jarrett
- Queensland Police Service v Tobane
- Brady v Woolworths Ltd
For the pdf version of the table of contents, click here: Qld Lawyer Vol 31 Pt 4 Contents.